Monday, December 14, 2009

A Baby Snowman and Room Parent Experience

As Nikolai's imagination continues to grow, we have begun to experience stranger requests and more detailed storylines while we're playing. This morning as we were feeding Julian and getting ready to leave the house, Nikolai requested a Baby Snowman. Over and over again, for 10 minutes, Niko asked for a Baby Snowman. Finally Colin made him a snowman out of legos, but it really wasn't what he wanted. I have no idea what he really wanted!

I survived (barely) my first duties as a room mother, hosting the Hanukkah party for Nikolai's class. It was a great time this morning, although at one point I has five kids on my lap, with Nikolai at the bottom of the pile saying "help, I'm stuck"! We played "Pin the Candle on the Menorah," which the kids were surprisingly good at. Of course, Niko marches to the beat of his own drummer, and, as usual, was the only kid who wouldn't play. I finally convinced him to add his candle to the Menorah, but he wouldn't put on the blindfold or cover his eyes. And yes, I did stay up late last night cutting out candles from construction paper (and glueing on paper flames) and putting glitter on the Menorah! The kids decorated cookies with icing and sprinkles, and decorated paper crowns to wear. I can't believe that there is any order at all in a room with twelve 2-3 year olds, but they did great. I did collapse on the floor when I got back to my office though, and had to lay down for a bit before my latte began to revive me!

It was fun to see the Monday morning Havdaleh and hear all the kids at the whole center sing songs and prayers together and light the candle for the 4th day of Hanukkah. Nikolai's favorite part was marching and dancing to the Hanukkah songs.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Grandma informed me that Nikolai wanted one of Grandma Allie's "baby snowman" Christmas cookies, which he had last weekend while we trimmed her Christmas tree. Of course!!